Monday, August 23, 2010

Road Trip





We really love to go away for the weekend. We don't get the opportunity very often because we always end up having some kind of obligation. But when we get the chance, we hit the road!!



I have learned from Chris that packing is really not a big deal. I used to make a list and pack as I checked off the list. Not anymore!! I just open up a big duffle bag and I start throwing stuff in. His philosophy is that you can buy or do without anything for a few days. This time I thought I forgot the hairbrush but luckily, it was in the bottom of the bag. Thanks to Ava, she packed lots of random objects that I found once we arrived.



We stayed at a really kid-friendly hotel with a pool and waterslide. They also had a "marshmallow"! Maddie calls those mushrooms that spill water, "marshmallows" and I love it!!



Our primary destination was the aquarium. On our way into Gatlinburg, we stopped at a book store. I bought, "Curious George visits the Aquarium". I read it to the kids on the road several times. It was so awesome! It was like "practicing what you preach"! I encourage our teachers to relate experiences to literature, but how many times do I really do it for my own children. That's not important, right? What matters is that I did it this time. The kids listened so intently, I felt like supermom. I think Chris thought he was married to supermom too! I could tell by the little smile on his face, as I was reading (he thought I didn't see it).



And so, as a reward for being supermom (you know, facilitating a literacy experience), Chris played putt putt with the kiddos while I shopped at the outlet mall. I got an awesome shirt at J Crew and a Coach purse. I am in love with the purse, but it is black. I am not sure if it is appropriate to carry it before Labor Day? I guess I will ponder for a few more weeks or maybe I will break the rules and carry it tomorrow.



The kids loved the aquarium. Actually, the parents loved it too! It was fun! If only every day was the weekend!

1 comment:

Lindsey S said...

Carry the bag, you love it.